- Jack Daniels bottle (or other)
- soy wax flakes
- old microwaveable plastic container (I re-used a soup one, from a bought soup)
- wet tile saw
- grinder or wet'n'dry sandpaper
- sandblaster (optional)
Chop the top of the Jack Daniels bottle off with the wet tile saw, grind any rough edges if necessary. Clean and dry. Use sandblaster to sandblast the bottle (I'll admit it, I wanted to make a pretty pattern, and the sticker came off, hence the overall matte look). Clean and dry. Affix wick to centre of bottle with superglue, then find a way to keep it centred (I drilled a hole into a lollipop stick with a dremel, but you can put a skewer through it, or lay a cross out of skewers, anything to keep it in the middle). Microwave wax flakes (I did several thirty second stints, to be on the safe side, I had the desired consistency after about 4 minutes total, in a 750W microwave, I stopped when nearly all wax was liquid, with the odd one still solid). Remove from microwave and use a skewer to stir and melt in any remaining solid wax flakes, then pour. Leave to set for several hours, then trim wick and decorate.
Silk ribbon by http://www.sowzeredesigns.com
- Sauce bottle (I used a Thai Sweet Chili Sauce bottle...or rather, three of them)
- Diamond wheel wet tile saw (and associated safety gear!!)
- Grinder (or wet'n'dry sandpaper)
...and for Part B of the experiment:
- white flowers
- food colouring
This week's bottle project actually got started on Monday, when three thai sweet chili sauce bottles had an appointment with a wet tile saw. Chopping the top off turned them into small flower vases quickly (two ended up perfectly smooth, the third needed a spot of grinding to get rid of little chips). Then, we decided on an additional experiment......making flowers change colour! So, three white carnations and three lots of food colouring later, we took our first picture.
Twenty-four hours later (well, earlier, really, but this picture is from 24 hours later), we could tell a distinct change in the colour of the top of the bud in the red carnation, but decided that yellow and green were possibly too close to the actual leaf colour to make any difference....sadly, apart from a *very* slight pinkish hue, the actual petals didn't want to play. So...
...after 48 hours, we added some white tulips.
...which did the trick. Still hard to see on green and yellow (possibly not helped by the minty background!) the tulip in the red food colouring was definitely turning red). So, this was at 72 hours for carnations, 24 hours for tulips. Interestingly...
...another 24 hours later, the three tulips had also "matured" in very different ways! The one in the green water had opened fully, the one in yellow had died, and the red one was redder still, and hardly changed shape. Odd! At this point, we decided to finish our experiment. But it did work.....kind of!
- bottle (I used a round, flat wine bottle - the bigger the opening, the easier your job)
- soil (I used dried pellets and soaked them in the bottle)
- plants suitable for bottle gardens (I used thyme and ivy)
- pebbles or similar (optional)
- lego figure (definitely optional!)
- wooden kebab sticks or other long, poky things
- kitchen towels
Insert soil (in my case, dry pellets broken free from netting), and water (if using pellets - you'll need less than you think!). Divide plants to the point that they can be inserted into bottle, then abuse the poor things by squishing and prodding them as gently as possible......once in, use kebab sticks (gently bend them if necessary) to 'fluff up' plants and get roots into soil. Insert pebbles and arrange. If necessary, let water run gently down the inside of bottle to wash away dirt, then wrap a kebab stick into kitchen towels to soak up excess via capillary action. A lego figure will fit into a standard wine bottle opening with arms raised and a good squish (explain to your child in advance that the lego figure will have to live in the garden indefinitely *before* inserted ;) ).
Jars work, too, of course!!
- wine bottle
- dremel with diamond bit
- low voltage fairy lights
- length of wire
Dremel (under water) a hole big enough to fit the fairy lights in, and insert them carefully. Make a hook out of the wire and insert in the top, using it to "wriggle about" the fairy lights until they look right. Plug in. :)
- a bottle (I used a cider bottle)
- flat wood offcuts
- 12mm (or thereabouts) drill bit
- rubber "tree tie" (or you could use wire)
- dremel and diamond bit
- bird food
Use the dremel (under water) to cut a small gateway into the lip of the bottle, make sure you don't leave sharp edges. Assemble your wood offcuts so that you have a tray and a back - saw if necessary. Drill three large holes into your back bit - two to hold the tree tie, one to hang. Screw all the bits together, fill bottle with bird feed, use tree tie to secure it...and there you are.